Thursday, November 19, 2009

One of my best results so far.

Thought it was a good idea to post one of my best results so far. Being ELO 1261 at the time, and drawing a 2035 player, is a bit sensational. You would probably think that a win against a very good player would more likely be considered as my best result, but this draw is quite good, so here you go. I'm playing black against Victor Aavik (2035), Norway:




The game starts as a Kings Indian Defence, which is in my repertoire. I was a bit anxious playing this opening against such a good player, but thought that with my knowledge about this opening I would maybe have a descent chance - or at least I would probably learn some from my mistakes ;)

10.Nd3 I wonder if this is a slight inaccuracy? Everything has been quite classical until this moment, and I wonder if he maybe should have played 10.Be3 'cause after 11.f5 f3 the Bishop has been developed, and has a retreat square on f2.

18...g4 ?? This is a total miscalculation from me. This just makes things worse. I was actually only calculating 19.hxg4 and not the easy refutation 19.fxg4 :D So from here I'm probably loosing :-/ It would have been much better to get the Knights into the attack first.

20...Qg5 this can't be good either. My thought was I wanted the Queen into the attack, now that attacking is the only reasonable thing to do. The best would probably be to play Nf6 first, but then I would block my queen. After 21.Be6 (which I totally overlooked)...Nf6 22.Bxf7+ I was a bit satisfied giving up the exchange and keep my precious c8 Bishop, as it's an important piece in KID.

23.Rf3? Nh4 24.Qe2 He decides to give back the exchange! I'm lucky :) He told me after the game that it was on purpose, when I thought during the game that it was a blunder. Well, I still think it was a blunder. But if he had moved the Rook away i.e. Rf2, then Bxh3 would have been good for Black.

30.Nexf4 eeh...I remember thinking he had found some way to mate me or something, but the more I looked at it, I couldn't see why I couldn't take the Knight. So, I went for it, and took the offer to see what he had hidden up in his sleeves ;)

32...Bxg4 this is probably a move he overlooked when sacrificing his Knight. It's not a particularly great move, but looks like it saves me from further complications. It turns out though, that 32...Bb5 probably is winning, or at least advantage for Black - he will probably be a piece down after that move.

35.e6+ Well, this probably saves my draw along with some other good moves later on. 35.exd6 would probably have caused me more problems. After the good move 35...Kg6 I'm back on track :)

40.Bd4 This move kind of shocked me. I thought I was totally lost now. After a while though, I found the great move 40...Nxd5 which probably saves me from a loss. Funny enough Fritz thinks I'm totally lost!(?) After 41...Ke4 I just can't find the win for White (even if Fritz with Rybka 3 engine says +4.45 advantage for White) There must be something wrong with my engine, or the machine simply doesn't understand the position! So, I invite anyone to find the win Fritz says is there ;)

0 comments: